The Church Clock

Bookmark and Share

ll Saints' church clock was made in 1856 by the firm of Wm. Potts of Leeds but was designed by one Edmund Beckett, better known as the first Lord Grimthorpe. This architect/designer had worked with Potts before in designing the clock for Ilkley Parish Church and three years later was to design another rather more famous one in the Westminster clock tower, the mechanism of which strikes a certain bell known as Big Ben!

Today our clock is still going strong and still being serviced by Potts. It does, however, have some strange habits often appearing to loose or gain several minutes and then keep steady time. And it certainly wasn't happy with the
-15°C temperatures we had during a severe winter.

On the video you can hear the wonderfully slow and peaceful tick before the chiming commences!

 

 


History
Webpage icon "Yorkshire Tails" a history of our bells and ringers
Webpage icon All Saints' Organ
Webpage icon Memorial Stones transcript
Webpage icon The Burne-Jones Window
Webpage icon The Pancake Bell